PRIVATE FILE - BRIEF BACKGROUND OF THE VIDA WRIGHT WRIGHT FAMILY LINE
This private Website folder and any accompanying files reference the Vida Wright Wright (wife of Grant Joseph Wright [Sr.] ) and some members of her patriarchal family line. Other particulars relating to the below family members (including some others not listed here), including various photos and exhibits, might be accessed via the Contents - Private Files, a link also given at the bottom of this page.
Concerning Vida Wright Wright (deceased 14 October 2002 - the eldest and most recent to die in a family of five daughters and three sons - leaving five currently living) and beginning with her father, her patriarchal line follows with some brief commentary and historical aspects included.
William Arthur Wright (Sr.) - the second oldest of five boys in a family of nine children - born in Ogden (and, in 1932, while serving his third mission to Germany [away from his 8 children ranging in age from 23 to about 3] died there at the age of 49) and married to Bertha Olivia Eccles (born in Ogden - the second eldest daughter [fifth eldest] in the family of six girls and six boys of David Eccles [born in Paisley, Renfrew, Scotland] and Bertha Maria Jensen [born in Pannerup, Aahrus, Denmark], his first of three wives. David’s other wives were Ellen Emma Stoddard [born in Wellsville, Utah] and Margaret Ferguson Cullen [born in Glasgow, Larkshire, Scotland]. As reported in the Church's Ancestral File (AF) system, children of the latter two wives numbered, respectively, nine and one.);
Angus Taylor Wright - the third oldest in a family of eight boys and three girls - born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and married Martha Jane Middleton (born in Ogden - the oldest of the three girls in the family of twelve children of Charles Franklin Middleton (born in Okawville, Illinois) and Martha Clarissa Browning (born in Quincey, Illinois - one of the eight girls and four boys in the family of Jonathan Browning [born in Brushby Fork, Tennessee] and Elizabeth Stalcup [born in Nashville, Tennessee]); and,
Note: Jonathan Browning is the famed American gun innovator and inventor. Along with other guns, he and his "also-famous" son, John Moses (often renowned as or called "the greatest firearms inventor the world has ever known), particularly, are remembered for the Browning 30 and 50 caliber machine guns, a number of Winchester firearm designs, Browning semiautomatic rifles and shotguns,* et. al. After joining the Church, Jonathan he moved to and set up a gun shop (which is now a popular visitors’ attraction) in Nauvoo and, then, later moved west with the Saints, settling in the Ogden area. As a company, Browning manufactured guns in America and later in Liege, Belgium - a town east of Brussels where today some of Browning’s guns are still made.
Currently, having diversified into some other sports-related areas, Browning’s corporate headquarters and testing facilities are located in Morgan, Utah. And, a Browning Museum (guns and antique cars) is located in Ogden’s Union Station complex.
Links to some interesting and one or two "quite-brief-in-length" Websites concerning the Browning Museum (BM) in Ogden, Jonathan Browning (JB), and his son, John Moses Browning (JMB), respectively, follow.
B M - 1 B M - 2
J B - 1 J B - 2 J B - 3 J B - 4
J M B - 1 J M B - 2 J M - 3 J M B - 4
*In the early 1920s, having served a mission in France and the french-speaking part of Belgium (also spending some memorable times in and around Liege and Brussels), Grant Joseph Wright purchased two of the "famed and desirable" Browning guns: a semiautomatic .22 caliber rifle and a semiautomatic 12 gauge shot gun. He later would use these guns at the folk's farm (and in the surrounding fields) located at 416 West 3900 South in the Salt Lake Valley and on the Wright Brother's ranch in the western Uinta mountain area of Caulk Creek Canyon, east of Coalville, Utah. Owning several sections of ground, the Wright Brothers grazed their sheep there during the summer seasons. In winter time, the sheep were moved by train to the lower valleys in and around Salt Lake, Tooele, and Grantsville. The brothers also owned considerable grazing ground south of Peoa, east of Kamas, and west of Park City.
On occasion, Dad (Grant) would share some of the memorable "Ranch" experiences, mentioning "...being alone and in a day's time....," he rode on his horse from the farm to the ranch, "...stopping along the way at various springs and canyon streams to water his horse and rest a bit...." - "having some nice lamb chops for breakfast, lunch, and dinner...." - "...enjoyable times they were...." - also, mentioning other experiences of watching and being amazed at the power of those D&RG steam engines chugging up those steep serpentine grades of Parleys Canyon with a freight consist in tow, heading to the mine areas in and around Park City and/or going on over to Heber City.
Then, sometime in 1926, one of Grant's friends coaxed him to go to Ogden to "...meet this cute brown-eyed Wright girl...." at some planned dance event. Grant finally agreed and became "smitten at the first glance." As often reminisced, during the next eight months, he then "wore out" his folk's Buick running back and forth to Ogden before being becoming engaged and married in August 1927. (As remembered, that Buick probably was similar to a later two-door coupe with a nice rumble seat in the rear, in which - in later years - Richard Wright, a son of Grant and Vida, remembers riding - with "Grandma driving and Mom in the other seat.")
William Henry Wright - one of the six boys in a family of eight children - born in Birmingham, England and married (in the latter city) Emma Taylor (born also in Birmingham - the youngest of the three girls in the family of nine children of Thomas Taylor and Jane Clark - both of Birmingham).
Note: After leaving England and arriving in Utah in the late 1850s (settling first in Richmond, Utah then later in Ogden), William Henry Wright (WHW), in 1875, was the founder of the noted “W. H. Wright & Sons’ Co.,” a dry goods or mercantile store (similar to the old Z.C.M.I., which was a respected competitor). Over time, six of WHW’s (surviving) sons assisted in managing and growing the business - whose tenure or existence was some 65+ years. (Reportedly, two of WHW’s eight sons died shortly after birth, each living only a few days or weeks.)
The small, original store was located on Washington Avenue in Ogden. As the years passed, the Company moved into larger facilities four times with the last being in 1911 to a much larger store that was newly constructed by the W. H. Wright & Sons’ Co. On an available “Wright Family” CD, see the attached "W. H. Wright & Sons Co." folder (also included here) which contains two “pdf” files that review: (1) various store-front pictures and respective “move” years; and, (2) some interesting newspaper clippings of advertisements for various items the store offered for sale. And, as shown in the first “pdf,” the timing of the various “moves” is depicted on one of the Company’s famed (annually produced) plates that were given to customers of the store. These plates have since become rare collectibles or antiques.
The enterprise, known for its quality of goods, competitive pricing, integrity, and superior customer services, expanded its facilities into other cities in Utah and Idaho (into Salt Lake City, Mallad, Boise, Pocatello, and ?). The Company successfully weathered the Depression years. Such might have been largely based on William Henry's philosophy, proven over the years, of negotiating and purchasing store inventories by using cash reserves that the Company had set aside for such and not by utilizing "vendor-credit" or "bank-borrowing" methods. But, in later years, since three of the sons had passed away and the others were retired or phasing out, those in control decided to sell off parts of the business - with the last sale, in the early 1940s, being that venerable, “well-known,” and “rather-large” Ogden store facility. It was sold to the J. C. Penney Co. (See the “plate” picture in the referenced “pdf” file - top-center rendition of this “last” store facility.)
On WHW’s death in 1897, Angus Taylor (at age 41 - WHW’s second oldest living son) became President, running the store for 31 years until his death in 1928, when his eldest son, Charles Angus (William A. [Sr’s] brother) became CEO. Charles (“Gus”) was the one who lead the “shut-down/sell-off” plans and activities of the Company along with two of his brothers, Luke Middleton and Parley Lawrence (“Larry”), who were also active in management.
Then, some years ago relative to various planned “commercial-area” developments, that five-floored (including basement) “W. H. Wright & Sons’” store was torn down. In Ogden, it was located on the northwest corner of Washington Avenue and 24th Street. (Interestingly, directly across - on the southwest corner - was the “Eccles” office building, which, I understand, still stands - as does the venerable “First Security Bank” (another of David Eccles’ enterprises) office building which was directly east - on the southeast corner of 24th and Washington Avenue.
Over time, others members of WHW’s immediate and extended families also worked in the store as managers or floor staff. They included William Arthur (Sr.), who for a time was the Company’s Secretary; some of the latter’s cousins and brothers; and, some of William Arthur’s sons. One of the sons, David Eccles Wright (living), has some interesting tales of working for a “very short time” and on a "commission-only" basis in the ladies shoe department (where he "knew nothing about ladies' shoes"); of assisting in the Company's 24th Street vehicle maintenance facility (cars and trucks) as a mechanics' helper ("holding wrenches for the guys"), of "running supplies or mercantile goods back and forth between various store facilities in the Company’s trucks," and of being an elevator operator. Another son, Karren (Kay) Wright (deceased), also worked as an elevator operator in that large (final) store facility.
As referenced above, repeated here is the link to the "W. H. Wright & Sons Co." folder.
Note: For any one of the above families or family members, see the Private Files - Families and Members - Main Listing page for specific linking codes and instructions enabling easy access to the respective "Family" and "Pedigree" files of the Church's Ancestral File (AF) system.
Also, two interesting and informative "Relationships" Reports for Vida Wright Wright and Grant Joseph Wright (Sr.), along with a listing of their "Posterity," might be accessed and viewed via these respective links:
"Relationships" Reports "Posterity"
Contents - Private Files
Contents - General Files
Thanks for your visit.